Most frequent questions and answers
WILLOW CRYPTO FEES
Willow Crypto charges a 1.00%* annual management fee that is accrued daily and billed in arrears at the end of each month.
Gemini Trust Company, LLC, our custodian, charges a custodial fee of 0.75% annually that is accrued daily and billed in arrears at the end of each month.
Gemini has partnered with Equity Trust for IRA accounts. Equity Trust charges a $250 annual fee for IRA services.
In total, a taxable account would be charged 1.75% (compared to 2.5% for similar publicly available but less comprehensive services).
*This fee is negotiable.
U.S. DOLLAR FDIC INSURANCE
U.S. dollar deposits in your Fiat Account held in one or more Omnibus Accounts at one or more Banks located in the United States are held with the intention that they be eligible for Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (“FDIC”) “pass-through” deposit insurance, subject to the Standard Maximum Deposit Insurance Amount per FDIC regulations (currently $250,000 per eligible Gemini Customer) and other applicable limitations. Gemini’s policy is to comply, in good faith, with the regulations and other requirements of the FDIC for pass-through deposit insurance, including those contained in 12 C.F.R. § 330.
Please note: Non U.S. dollar deposits held at any Banks or financial institutions, as well as U.S dollar deposits held at Banks or financial institutions located outside of the United States, may not be subject to or eligible for FDIC deposit insurance.
Certain circumstances may require Gemini to transfer fiat currency between two or more of their Omnibus Accounts or terminate their relationship with one of their Banks.
Movements of fiat currency between Omnibus Accounts are recorded in detail and will not affect the available balance in the Fiat Account of your Gemini Account or jeopardize the availability of FDIC insurance, subject to applicable limitations.
DIGITAL ASSETS INSURANCE
Gemini maintains insurance coverage for the digital assets that they hold on your behalf in their online hot wallet. Please see the Digital Asset Insurance section of their User Agreement for more information.
Our custodian ,Gemini, maintains commercial crime insurance for Digital Assets custodied in trust on your behalf in their online hot wallet (“Hot Wallet”). Gemini’s insurance policy is made available through a combination of third-party insurance underwriters.
Gemini’s policy insures against the theft of Digital Assets from their Hot Wallet that results from a security breach or hack, a fraudulent transfer, or employee theft.
Gemini’s policy does not cover any losses resulting from any unauthorized access to your User Account. You agree and understand that you are solely responsible (and you will not hold us responsible) for managing and maintaining the security of your User Account login credentials and any other required forms of authentication, including your API keys.
Digital Assets are not legal tender and are not backed by any government. Digital Assets are not subject to Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (“FDIC”) or Securities Investor Protection Corporation protections. Please see the ‘FDIC Insurance’ section for more information on FDIC “pass through” insurance as it relates to your Fiat Account.
Willow Crypto uses Gemini Trust Company, a regulated New York State Trust Company and qualified custodian, to custody all of its digital assets.
Gemini is a fiduciary and qualified custodian under New York Banking Law and is licensed by the State of New York to custody digital assets. Gemini Custody™ is regularly audited and subject to the capital reserve requirements and compliance standards of a traditional financial institution.
WILLOW WILL NEVER TOUCH NOR HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR PRIVATE KEYS.
Learn more about our custodian here.
A major benefit of the Separately Managed Account (SMA) model is that the investor gains direct ownership of asset. In our case, the investor gains direct ownership of their digital assets. This is in contrast to other vehicles like ETFs, mutual funds, or ETNs that may hold digital assets where your money is pooled with other investors and you do not get access to the potential tax benefits of direct ownership. The potential tax benefit is that you control the capital gains of the asset, which is more efficient to manage than being in a pooled investment which you assume when first invested. Please call us to discuss in more detail.
We explore various risks in our Risk Disclosure form located here. Please read and contact us with any questions or need for clarification.
Please note the following risks in accessing or using Gemini:
- The risk of loss in trading Digital Assets may be substantial and losses may occur over a short period of time;
- The price and liquidity of Digital Assets has been subject to large fluctuations in the past and may be subject to large fluctuations in the future;
- Legislative and regulatory changes or actions at the state, federal, or international level may adversely affect the use, transfer, exchange, and value of Digital Assets;
- In your jurisdiction, Gemini may not be regulated as a financial institution;
- Deposits into your Digital Asset Account and your Fiat Account may not be considered deposits under the applicable laws, rules, or regulations in your jurisdiction;
- Fiat currency in the Fiat Account of your Gemini Account may not be subject to applicable deposit insurance protection;
- Digital Assets in the Digital Asset Account of your Gemini Account are not subject to deposit insurance protection, including, but not limited to, FDIC insurance or Securities Investor Protection Corporation protections;
- Digital Assets are not legal tender and are not backed by the government;
- Transactions in Digital Assets may be irreversible, and, accordingly, losses due to fraudulent or accidental transactions may not be recoverable;
- Some Digital Asset transactions shall be deemed to be made when recorded on a public ledger, which is not necessarily the date or time that you initiated the transaction;
- The value of Digital Assets may be derived from the continued willingness of market participants to exchange fiat currency or Digital Assets for Digital Assets, which may result in the potential for permanent and total loss of value of a particular Digital Asset should the market for that Digital Asset disappear;
- The nature of Digital Assets may lead to an increased risk of fraud or cyber attack, and may mean that technological difficulties experienced by Gemini may prevent the access to or use of your Digital Assets; and
- Any bond or trust account maintained by Gemini for the benefit of our Users may not be sufficient to cover all losses due to theft or fraud incurred by Users.
Additional information can be found here.
Our custodian has institutional-grade security with 24/7 access-controlled secured facilities. The hardware security modules that store the keys (what you need to access the coins) are kept entirely offline. Our custodian Gemini’s hardware security modules have achieved the highest levels of the U.S. government’s security rating.
In order to protect clients’ crypto-assets, Gemini has also instituted internal controls that restrict the ability for any assets to move between unauthorized accounts or parties. Specifically, any withdrawals or asset movement require real-time multi-signature authentication, two-factor authentications, and time-limited approvals.
You can read more about Gemini’s security procedures here.